Working in a so-called IT Industry is really challenging. It’s been 1 Year 3 Months or lets write it 15 Months so that it looks more duration like we write in case of our CV’s.
Here is the career path of Imaginary Indian software engineer – Mahesh Garg.
1) Mahesh joins one of the thousands of engineering colleges, primarily due to parental pressure.
2) Engineering college encourages rote learning. From childhood, Mahesh has mastered the art of rote learning and writing exams. Mahesh easily gets more than 90% in all semesters, but in reality has little interest or knowledge of software development.
3) Mahesh gets selected by an IT services company in a campus placement along with 200 others from his college.
4) Mahesh is sent to their training center for 3 months training in “real world software development”. At the end of his training and sitting on bench for 2 months, he is placed in an application maintenance project.
5) 8 out of 10 in his project have little or no knowledge of coding. Hence, most of the work is done by a group of overworked, frustrated people at onsite and the 2 people who know how to code. Mahesh gets very little work experience and spends most of his time browsing facebook.
6) On a Sunday evening, after coming back from the mall, Mahesh is more frustrated than usual. He goes to Quora and posts questions like “How can I increase my salary?” and “How can I improve in coding?”. His questions gets down-voted and no one responds.
7) Four years pass by. The 2 people in Mahesh’s project who know coding have left the company. Mahesh’s manager sends him onsite by telling the customer that he is a Java developer with 5 years experience.
8) Mahesh is excited to go onsite. He is sharing a room with 4 other people working at different companies in that area. At the client’s office, he gets a good laptop with all software pre-installed on the first day. He is also surrounded by a higher percentage of knowledgeable people. Mahesh is in ideal environment and works hard on week days. He goes to Costco for shopping and gets drunk on weekends. Over the following months, Mahesh visits Niagara falls, New York and some other places and promptly posts his pictures on facebook.
9) After 11 months at onsite, Mahesh picks up some knowledge of java coding and is praised by customer for doing good work. One day Mahesh’s project is short closed by customer due to funding issues. Mahesh is sent back to India.
10) Mahesh is placed as team lead in another project with same customer. In this project 9 out 10 people don’t know any coding and Mahesh is the 10th person. Mahesh is fed up and wants to become a manager, so he won’t have to deal with technical problems every day.
11) Years pass by.
12) Mahesh has 12 years of “experience” and is now a manager. His parents have married him off to a girl who is also working in IT. They have a child who is at home mostly with a maid servant. They have pooled their money and also taken a huge loan to buy a 2 bhk apartment from a “reputed builder”. Mahesh or his wife cannot afford to lose their job, nor are they getting much salary hikes or promotions. 10 out of 10 people in his team don’t know any coding.
But Mahesh is Not “Mahesh”, He will transform his life by not acting as above and will build his own empire.